The Document Library template, like all library templates, is available on your siteâ€™s Create window. The library is created through the same process that you used to create lists in Chapters 4 and 5. The Create window contains a Library filter type with icons for all library templates, including the Document Library link. To create a new document library in a collaboration site, follow these steps:
- On the siteâ€™s home page, click the More Options… link in the Site Actions menu.
- On the Create window, select the Document Library icon in the Installed Items section.
- Click the More Options button.
- In the Name and Description section, enter a name and description for the library.
- Select Yes under the Navigation options if you want to show a link to this library on the Quick Launch area of the site.
- In the Document Version History section, select Yes if you want the library to provide version-control features for the documents in the library. This is discussed in the â€śManaging Document Librariesâ€ť section later in this chapter.
- In the Document Template section, select the template file type for the library. Document templates are also discussed in the â€śManaging Document Librariesâ€ť section later in this chapter.
- Click the Create button.
You have now created a document library that contains a single data column called Title. Viewing the library provides the file name, type, and modification information for each document. Figure 6-1 shows a library such as the one you have just created.